Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Not All Goals Are Created Equal

Weigh in was this morning, and I'll be honest, I'm a little surprised, mostly as a Cake Batter Flurry was involved, but I am down 2.6 lbs from last week! I am so excited! So far that's roughly 74 lbs lost total, but I'm not done yet. My first goal I ever set in this journey was to hit the 100 lb mark, but it was a TALL order. I thought that'd be reaching the impossible, but I'm closer than I'd ever imagined.

I've always been a believer in setting goals. If you hit it, celebrate! It's an achievement, and you did something you should be proud of! If you don't meet a goal, find out why, what didn't work, and how you can learn from it. Regardless of how big or how small, possible or impossible, set one! Goals don't always have to be big. I NEVER, EVER thought I would hit the 50 lb mark, let alone be possibly hitting the 100 lb mark.

I started small. My first goal ever set was 5%. To lose 5% of my starting body weight, which equaled about 12.5 lbs. From there, it was 10%, or 25 lbs. At 25, I was feeling better, could move more. Hell, I could bend over and tie my shoe without too much trouble! (I cried i was so happy. Seriously.)

Imagine carrying 2 ten pound bags of potatoes, plus 1 five pound bag around the grocery store. How long could you take it before putting them down? Now imagine that 25 being attached to your body. For me, losing 3 sacks of potatoes was huge!

Once the first 25 was off, I focused mainly on 5-10 pound increments, not the oh-my-gosh-I-have-100-pounds-to-lose thought. I'm the person who gets lost (or more appropriately freaked out) over big pictures. First week of each new semester in college, I would lose it over seeing 5 class syllabi and what I'd have to do in 16 weeks. I had a few coming to Jesus moments each first week. Once I settled in and took it one day at a time, I was good. Same with my weight loss journey. I still get caught up in the thought that I'll never hit the 100 lb mark, but I've come this far. Besides, it's for life, not a quick fix!

This journey hasn't been easy, and no, I haven't dropped the weight as fast as I had hoped, but the bumps in the road have helped me grow as person. In looking at the big picture, I've still lost 75 lbs, that being plenty more than my initial goal.

To say I've met my goal would be an understatement. I've met them, but as my goals are met, achieved, and celebrated, more are set. I want to keep going.

Again, this is NOT a quick fix, this is for life. My life, and my will to live a little longer than 75 lbs ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment