Tuesday, February 18, 2014

C25K Progress and Other Updates...

Blogger's Note: I'm really sorry I haven't had a chance to update everyone on my progress of late. School has officially taken over my life...again...but I promise I will try to update everyone on a more regular basis. I had a streak going for a bit, but I also will have a bit more "adventures" once I begin my next challenge to fill folks in on. More on that below....

Nine weeks. It's been nine weeks since I've had the all clear to run. Nine weeks since my recovery process "ended," and I could get back to my somewhat-normal active lifestyle again. How do I know? Upon completion of my typical Wednesday night between-work-and-class run, I will have completed the Couch to 5K program. Again. (Phew.)

As much as I cannot stand (sic: hate with every depth of my being) the dreadmill treadmill, it's absolutely wonderful to be able to run again. I'm much happier getting sweaty (don't take that the wrong way, folks), I'm happier being able to just get out whatever stress or aggression I have that day by pounding fake-moving-pavement. I'm happier dealing with people when I'm running. )Be happy I'm running, ladies and gents. You wonder how nice I am each day? I run.) ;)

...but in the midst of running, I've also picked up strength training. I gave the kettlebell a bit of a go, however I've started to slack off on it a bit, as I prefer to use a video to guide me and I'm just not home much during the week. (Plus, have you ever ran the day after kettlebell training? Don't. That's my advice. That was poor planning on my part.) I'm not a fan of lifting weights, as I need something "fun" to keep me engaged, not repetitive motion, while staring at my self struggling in a mirror. However the more I lift, the more strength I gain, and the more muscle definition I see (I've got guns...), the more I want to work at it. I don't pour sweat like I do while running, however I definitely feel it the next day. Or day after. Or the third day in some cases... I've also started to focus on a few areas of my body that I want to tone, areas that have a bit more loose skin than I'd like. I'm starting to get biceps, my triceps are bit less jiggly (bye-bye batwings!), and my abs hurt when I laugh. That's a good sign, right?

But in toning, I'm also seeing my measurements shrink, (which is awesome)! I've shifted my focus to less scale, more measurements in numbers (that could be an entire blog in itself), as the scale hasn't been much of a good guide as of late. It's been hard to shift my thinking. I'm not even going to lie... Ever hear muscle weighs more than fat? Yeah... I've been able to maintain my weight "number," if not gain pounds in some instances, but my jeans still fit and I'm seeing muscle tone and definition with what I'm working on. It's a total mind-shift, just as "dressing thinner," and thinking more "my size" were, and they weren't easy, but as I always say - I'm a work in progress.

And in speaking of the gym, I'm starting to get a little more comfortable walking in, buckling down, and getting to work. When I first walked in to the gym that I use, (on my college campus; free for students, and it's pretty nice, but I've never used a gym before, period) I panicked. I'm not even kidding. It's like my mind melted. I had my game plan: treadmill. I thought, "Really Ashley? You're going to let these youngins' intimidate you?" To which I replied, "Well, yeah. Look at them. It's the f**king track team working out in there. You're 27. You don't belong. You can't run like the wind."

Guess what? A few treadmill/weight sessions in, I'm showing those 'youngins' who's boss...

(Kidding! Really, I'm still puny, and I'm not "boss." But hey, I try. That's what counts. Right?)

Anyway... Moving on...

I'm a goal-driven person. I think I've mentioned that on here before, but I need something to focus on. A prize to "eye" if you will... With completing the Couch to 5k program tomorrow night, it puts me back in position for the half-marathon hunt. Prior to May....  :) (See my Bucket List.)

May is my favorite month of the year by far, just as many other Hoosiers would tell you. I live for this month for one reason: the Indy 500. But every year, we kick the month off with the Mini Marathon, usually the first weekend in May.  And it's been squarely on my Bucket List since before I lost my weight. I've always dreamed of completing it, and was in great position pre-December to work towards it. Knee surgery pretty much derailed what I thought wouldn't happen in 2014, however with getting back into the running-groove, I signed up.

I just did it one day. I found myself whipping out the credit card and saying, "to hell with it. Go big or go home, Ash." Coworkers, friends, and acquaintances alike said that even with being about four weeks behind the day of the race, I still would have a good shot at safely completing it, if I run and walk. My goal is to just complete 13.1 - walk, run, or crawl. It's my first, so time isn't a concern of mine. (The trail bus is, though.) I've also contacted a friend of mine from high school regarding the Mini, a runner and former prom date (that's another convo for another day, but it has a pretty cool background story). I asked him if he and another classmate of ours were planning to run the Mini again this year, as they have completed it before. He hadn't given much thought to it until I asked, but he agreed he'd run it with me (after warning him I'm slower than a herd of turtles). I do feel a little relieved that someone will be there with me, however it's just me and the pavement.... (Ok. I'll be honest, though: I'm petrified about the half.)

Now if the weather will just cooperate... (I'm dreading treadmill training if I have to run 4+ miles in one sitting. I'd rather fork my eyeballs out.)

Make sure to tune in for upcoming half-marathon training updates, as I'm sure I'll have plenty! I'm hoping to also start running "organized" 5k's again soon as I love them, once the weather turns for the better. I'm ready to be able to get outdoors and run the country roads again too, just as much as anyone else is ready for warmer weather.

I've got that itch! (Who knew?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment