Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Back To Basics

Ugh. The basics.

A Twitter friend of mine always tells me if something isn’t working in hockey, go “back to the basics.” I’ve somewhat adapted/implemented that with my weight loss program.

I knew my former program wasn’t working anymore, so with the help and recommendations of friends, I did just that. I knew that on the old plan that I started with, calories were counted along with fat and fiber. I could guess just by looking at a nutrition label about how many daily points it’d be, within 1 or 2. After the plan was changed/morphed, the 70+ lb loss came to a screeching halt. After taking “time off,” gaining, getting frustrated, losing some to gain more and so on, I decided to go back to the basics.

I knew the “new” plan wasn’t working, at least for me. I recognized that fact. I’ve had many friends it’s helped tremendously with great success, but it just didn’t work for me any longer.. The “new” plan took calories out of the equation, and mixed carbs and protein in. Let’s be honest, I’m a Carb Queen. I can’t NOT live without breads, pastas, etc. It’s just not me. I was always told that you can have what you want, as long as it is in moderation! (There’s that ‘M’ word again. Dun, dun, dunnnnnn…..)

So back to the basics I went. I have since started a new plan as described before, which primarily counts calories, and only calories, and so far I’ve had good luck. I say so far, as I’m still battling with motivation. I still have the weeks where I just feel like eating everything in sight and then some. But the weather has helped tremendously, I’ll definitely admit it! It’s been an unusually warm winter, and an early Summer (not Spring!), so with that I’ve been getting out and riding my bike and running again. I started this past Saturday with 8 miles, 4 with a tailwind, 4 with a fight home. Last night I made it 10, but I hope to keep improving as I go, as well as build muscle (shorty short weather in around the corner, afterall!). I can’t think my Twitter friend enough, as he has helped me more than he probably knows by applying the “Back to Basics” thinking to many aspects of my life, including my weight loss journey, and it seems to be working.

Thanks, friend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment