Monday, May 14, 2012

The Mini

My mom thinks I’m half nuts. (That’s debatable, but we won’t go there…)

The Mini, as it’s known to us locals (hehe), is a half marathon/enormous event that takes place in downtown Indy each year. It draws thousands upon thousands to run it or walk it. The route takes you from downtown Indianapolis, out to Indianapolis Motor Speedway, around the track, and back, while taking in several of the best sites the city has to offer.

The Mini has been something that has always been on my bucket list. I think it’s the coolest thing since sliced bread, as being an avid race fan and Hoosier, it’s seen as something that kicks off the best month in all of Indiana (and maybe the world, in my opinion), May.

I’ve always wanted to run the Mini, but never been in any shape to. I’m not saying I’ll run it, as I’m just not a runner, but the call was put out on Facebook by a friend of mine, another avid female motorsports fan, that she wanted someone to do it with her. She has walked it before, with no preparation and quite a bit of soreness, but wants to do it again with training. We’ve both agreed to walk it next May (2013), as it’s my first time. I’ll be honest, I’m scared as hell.

I’ve never prepared for something like this. I know it’s just walking, but its 13.1 miles worth of it! I have walked 5k’s before, and can walk 2 miles at least a night without fatigue. I have a long ways to go, but I think it's the closest shape I've been in for something like this. (That's not saying much, though.)

It’s a goal I have my eyes on. I just pray this doesn’t turn out like my New Year’s resolution, as I’m still 2-3 sizes away from single digit pants with 7 months to go. It’s something I have to put my mind to, but as my mother always reminds me, if I get an idea in my head I can do something, I won’t stop until it’s done.

“A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination, and hard work.” – Colin Powell

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, I have no doubt you can do the mini! Train hard!

    ReplyDelete