Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Shrinking Woman

When I started in April of 2010, I would have never of dreamed I would get this far, not by a long shot. My first goal was to just get 50 lbs off of me, to get back to 200. It seemed so daunting. I’d been there, never thought I’d get over it, but wanted to get back to it. It’s the weight I held when I met my now-husband.

But I can proudly say, I’ve blown past 50! I’m up to 70 now, with 30 to go. I want to hit that 100 lb mark so bad, but have lost my way in some aspects, and am running after the wagon. (See previous posts.) I do have to admit though; I’ve been cracking down, disciplining myself. I’ve started to move more, like I used to, and that seems to help. Official weigh in is on Wednesday mornings, but I like what I’ve seen both yesterday and this morning from this past week’s achievements.

But this post isn’t about the numbers, it’s about inches, and then some. A family member/personal fitness guru/Zumba Queen (I still miss your classes, Lisa!), once told me, “Even if the numbers aren’t there, check your inches. You may not lose numbers that week, but you will see inches come off.” Boy is that true!

I know that with weight loss, you shrink. Duh! But where you lose inches can be some of the weirdest places, and I’m seriously not kidding. For instance, I’ve always had fat fingers. I think my class ring from senior year is a 9 1/2. When I got married, my ring was sized at 9 3/4. Recently, I had to get my ring re-sized to an 8. AN 8!!! (Never in my right mind did I think my fingers would ever be an 8!) And I will be honest; I think I’m going to have to get it re-sized again, soon. I didn’t want to get it resized half way through, to wait until I’ve shed what I wanted to, but I couldn’t take it any longer.

I’ve also found my ankles and wrists have shrunk. I used to not be able to wear ankle bracelets, or had to make sure to find the type that had extenders attached. I ended up donating a pair of cowboy boots I could perhaps wear now, as they wouldn’t zip up around my ankles of calves. (I’m regretting that decision, as I loved those boots and never in my life thought I’d be back to the point I could wear them again. Hindsight is always 20/20.)

This brings me to the too-much-information portion of this post. Just a little warning, as I’m not sure I can put this really any more delicately. When I say everything shrinks, EVERYTHING shrinks. I’m at the point I’m going to have to replace my skivvies… again, and I’m okay with it! (My drawers are saggin’ and I’m always up for shopping!) ;)

Regardless of whether it’s TMI (Too Much Information) or not, it’s an amazing feeling to find clothes that fit again. If you recall my very first blog post, part of my turning point was not able to find anything cute to wear to work, and it really ate away at my confidence and self-esteem. I left in tears that night, and it was time I did something.

I’m nowhere near where I want to maintain, but at this point, I can’t complain. I’m healthier than I have been in at least 6 years (and even at a lighter weight before, my diet was downright awful). It’s been a huge life change that I’m sure I haven’t realized the full impact of just yet.

This whole journey has opened up so many figurative doors (and windows to climb out of, if needed); it’s building my self-esteem and confidence back up from a somewhat depleted state, it’s helped me run and play with my niece and nephew with no problems of keeping up, but most importantly, it’s helping me find me. In all of the gains, the slip ups, the “feedback,” there are also losses, non-scale victories, and triumph. It’s a really rewarding experience. I just have to stay focused and keep my eye on the prize.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! Healthy & fit! That's where you want to be. Cute in clothes is icing on the cake! (But don't eat too much cake!)

    ReplyDelete