Saturday, December 24, 2011

No Chocolates December

Many people have vices when it comes to weight loss. Something you just can't live without while losing. Mine is soda/pop (tomato, tomahto), and candy bars, especially Kit-Kats.

The one thing I've been taught, not just by my national weight loss program, but also a fitness-trainer-cousin, is that don't ever deprive yourself. It's the worst thing you can do. It will derail your diet, fast. It's about moderation. (I have a huge problem with "portion distortion." Another blog for another day.)

So this will lead me into why I gave up chocolate for 1 month. During. December.

Of course, being me, I picked the worst month to give up chocolate for the whole year. 31 days of holiday goodness, and I chose to give it up. Yep, that's Ashley.

Not only was I tortured with chocolate chip cookies, buckeyes (weakness), and other homemade holiday goodies brought in the office and sitting two desks away, ALL DAY, but my husband has also had a fun time torturing me. Constantly. His usual weapon of choice is Reese Cups, but some reason, he decided to switch to Kit Kats, all month, all the time, in his words, "Just because I can." Uh. Huh.

But as of Christmas Eve, I'm proud to be Chocolate free. For 24 days, and I'm not looking back. For me, this is all about motivation and personal will power. A battle of sorts. Recently, as you read in my first post, I started this blog as a way to keep me accountable. I'll admit it, I've fallen off the wagon. No Chocolates December is a personal form of torture I'm enduring as a way to know I can do it.

But this isn't a feat and I can't take credit for it. I've befriended many women who have been using the same national weight loss program on Twitter. I'm a big Twitter addict, and it's an outlet for all things weight loss, motorsports, and hockey, my three favorite things I focus on. There is a lady, who as her Twitter handle will describe, (@NoChocs) gave up chocolate for 2011. Yep, ALL YEAR!!! I absolutely admire her tremendously for what she has given up, as I don't think I ever could do it, let alone wrap my head around it. I love chocolate way too much. But again, this blog isn't about what you love or hate, it's about beating down the walls that hold you back. For me this journey hasn't been about "getting skinny," again, it's all about being healthy, and for me, being comfortable in my own skin. I've been able to grow over the past year and a half as a person, and giving up chocolate, for me, is a challenge I'm willing to take to get that ultimate goal.

I'm Ashley. I'm always up for a challenge. So bring it on, 2012. I've got nothing to lose.

(Check back on 1/1/2012 for a No Chocolate Update)

No comments:

Post a Comment