Thursday, December 29, 2011

Portion Distortion

My name is Ashley, and I have a problem with 'Portion Distortion.'

I'll admit it. I eat like a pig at a trough. Before I began my weight loss journey, I never knew the difference between 'stuffed' and 'satisfied.' I thought being full was eating until I puke, and I still have a horrible issue with it, especially when I go out to eat.

I never knew a thing about portion control. I didn't know the servings on the back of a packaged mattered so much. I didn't know that a serving of veggies or fruit was one cup, or about the size of a baseball, a bagel should be the size of a hockey puck, a potato the size of a computer mouse or lightbulb. But the comparisons and tips I learned helped me tremendously.

The first two weeks I began my change, I thought I was going to keel over a die from starvation. But a leader in my meetings was always there to reassure me. She always told me that if you're eating a balanced meal, your body will get used to it. You won't starve. It's true! You really don't NEED seconds.

So here I'm going to help you out a little, I hope, with some tips I've learned throughout the year and a half. Below are some common items that you can visualize a serving size for, but when in doubt, get out the measuring cups!

1 c: baseball or tennisball

1/2 c: lightbulb

1 teaspoon: The end of your thumb (tip to first bend)

3 oz of meat: deck of cards

1 oz of cheese: 4 dice

If that's not enough check out the new guidelines replacing the Food Pyramid, the Food Plate, from the USDA/ChooseMyPlate.org.

One last tip: When eating at a restaurant, first and foremost, automatically ask for a box. Divide your meal in half and take it home! You will not only save yourself from overeating, but you will also save some money, as voila, you now have two meals!

And for more info, and a handy pocket guide you can slip into your wallet, check out WebMD.

I hope visualizing helps you as it has helped me! I'm a visual person and this helped tremendously while I was out and about, as well as grocery shopping for my husband and I.

Good luck! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment