Monday, September 10, 2012

The Bucket List

Ever have that one thing you want to do before you die? If you had one day left on Earth, how would you spend it? What would you do?

I've been reflecting a bit on my weight loss journey, and why I decide to start in the first place. If you read my very first blog post on December 23, 2011, you'll see that I've had a few people close to me pass away, and most of the time it had to due with heart-related/health issues. Some were young, some were old, but all were taken too soon.

Because of my health and where I was or wasn't going, I've done some reflecting along this journey. I've grown, and my thinking and knowledge of items such as nutrition labels, high fructose corn syrup, cardio workouts, etc., all related to my health, have grown leaps and bounds.

Just as a very close uncle, who passed away at the ever-young age of 46, I saw myself headed down a dark and lonely road, littered with health stumbling blocks and speed bumps. I had my nephew to live for, my partner in crime as I like to call him, and now a beautiful and vibrant niece, all who I want to see graduate from college, marry their sweetheart, and be productive members of society. I knew, though, that if I continued the way I did, eventually it would be that after I surpassed 200 pounds and eventually 250, it could have been 300, then who knows! I wouldn't be in the position I wanted to be.

Recently, I got on the topic of bucket lists with a friend; a list of things someone wants to do before they die. Lets face it, our days are numbered, and as I've witnessed in the past, you never know which one will be your last.

I have a running joke that I want to "check that of my list." Several items include (or have included) zip lining (check!), get debt free (in progress!), meet Brooks Laich (someday...), hit my healthy weight range (!), and have kids (someday, don't rush it). The list however, is ever-growing.

To even think at my age (I am young, just not THAT young) I'd have a bucket list, not something I'd normally consider, but again, life can be too short.

I believe that one day, the list may be completed, but to do that, life changes had to be made, on my part, regarding my health and the choices I made.

I can honestly say I've come a long way, and even have checked a few things off my "list."

To date, I've lost 79.4 pounds.

To go? 20!

The 100 pound mark is, after all, on the list...

No comments:

Post a Comment