Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Currently...

I've been stalking reading Dacia's blog 'My Roots to Grow' again, and she's giving me another awesome idea for a blog post! I love her post Currently, borrowed from another blog I've started reading, Fit and Free with Emily.

So here it goes!

Thinking

It's finally May, my favorite month of the year to be a Hoosier. The Indianapolis 500 is a holiday much like Christmas in the motorsports world, and it's almost here! I've been watching the sports coverage on local news outlets obsessively, following the drivers I love and cheer for on Twitter, Instragram, and others, showcasing our wonderful state capitol, and the love of such a historic event they have, as much as I do.

For as long as I can remember, I've been mesmerized by my Opa's stories of the "good ole days" of Mario, A.J., Al and several others from the days he worked at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, skipping out on work at a local grocery store as a butcher to compete in the annual chili cook off with Ma Unser or spending long days and longer nights hanging around the garage area while the world's best race car drivers compete for the Borg Warner trophy and a kiss of the bricks. He's the reason I'm such a huge racing enthusiast.



Also, the weather has finally turned, and I'm finally able to get back to the dirt track. Bring on summer!

Feeling

Relieved. My Spring semester is over, and I survived Statistics with an A (along with an A+ in Business & Society). I still have my 4.0 GPA. Highly thankful for that!

Watching

The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, of course! However, I've slacked a bit since Washington is tumultuous, and the Columbus Blue Jackets were eliminated by the Pittsburgh Penguins... but what a series that was!

Excited

...for my upcoming trip to the east coast! It won't technically be my first visit there, however a layover in the Newark, NJ airport doesn't count, so it'll be my first "overnight" stay, and I plan to take full advantage of the four days I have in Boston, Mass. I alluded to not being in Indiana for the first time since I can remember during Memorial/Race weekend for the Indianapolis 500, and Boston is where I will be! I'm heading out to spend a few days within downtown Boston, then taking the train west of the city to visit a special friend. I can't wait to see you Robin!

Side note: In talking with a coworker who grew up in the city, I shared my amazement that I could take a "water taxi" from the ferry dock at Boston Logan across the harbor to Long Wharf as opposed to the T, or subway for us out-of-towners. It'd give me a welcoming view of the Boston skyline, and I opted for this, as I felt it was a great introduction to the city! He proceeded to give me a look of amazement before busting out laughing. All I could think to say was, "we don't have boat taxis in Indiana, much less a subway system."

Missing

Thunder & Lightning, as my Opa preciously refers to my two favorite hoodlums. I'm really missing my niece and nephew and I can't wait to see them again soon. They always know how to make their aunt laugh!




In talking with my mom on the phone last night, she shared with me she waited for my nephew to get off of the bus from school the other day, and while they were swinging in the backyard, he out of the blue asked how I was:

"Mamaw Jill, how's Aunt Ashley?"

"She's doing really good buddy, her and Uncle (Mr. K)."

"Well, that's good."

"Do you remember seeing all of those runners on the TV last weekend?"

"Yes, Mamaw Jill, I do."

"Your Aunt Ashley was there. She ran that day with ALL of those other runners!"

"What was her number?!"

"Your Aunt Ashley's number was 26446." "Wow, Mamaw Jill, that's so cool!" (This made me cry while smiling. I miss that boy!)

Reading

...a book that finally isn't considered "required reading material." Thank goodness for summer break! I just sat down to start Janet Guthrie's biography:



Wondering

What tomorrow will bring! I plan to run for the first time since the half marathon, as I decided to just take a week off to recover, especially after the stomach flu/Satan's wrath of a recovery I had, and that it lingered for a few days this week. I'll be running a local 5k to benefit a local horse stable that offers therapeutic riding and lessons.

Working

It's that time of year again at my in-law's farm, and Mr. K has been hard at work preparing the fields for #Plant14. This year, we're drilling soybeans (again, I think...), and the field has been tilled, weeds sprayed, and now we wait a week until the actual "drilling" begins. It's not much land compared to some local farmers, but I see how much Mr. K enjoys himself when he's on the tractor. I also love riding along when I get the chance, either on the fenderwell of the Farmall while tilling, or scrunched up in the cab while planting. I didn't grow up on a farm, but yet in a small town where agriculture is still a huge part of life for many. I was a proud 4-H'er, my twin showing hogs while in high school and helping with them, but I have such a huge appreciation for what farmers do. It's their livelihood. Simple as this: We farm. You eat. And I appreciate Mr. K and my father-in-law's patience when I ask the dumbest questions ;)


Stressed

...when am I not? Next section...

Proud

I'm so proud of my "Mini Me," my niece Kaylyn. My niece is on this Earth all because of a lifesaving heart surgery at four days old under the care of Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis. The days after she was born were some of the longest days of my life, not knowing how she was or how she would be affected later in life by a congenital heart defect. At first, it was something we thought could've been fixed somewhere during the first six months of her life (no biggie). That didn't exactly happen, but because of that surgery, and her awesome cardiologist and his team, I get to see her grow in to the young woman she's rapidly becoming. Quickly. (And I don't like that!) This week, she had her yearly check up, and she's all-clear! The doctor is ecstatic with her progress, and I'm so dang proud of her. (...and proud that she's picking up on my love of motorsports. My corruption is working!)




Wanting

Ice Cream. Ugh.

Wishing

...I could call up my mother in law to wish her a Happy Mother's Day.

This week has been incredibly hard on Mr. K and I, as my mother in law would've celebrated both her birthday and Mother's Day this week. Instead, we reflected, celebrated the time we had with her, and shed many tears. This weekend is going to be brutal, and I only wish I could just pop over to the farm while Mr. K's in the field, to hang out with her in the kitchen. But I can't.

Eating

...waaaaaaaay too many damn sweets. I've been on a bit of a Pinterest tear, and my sweet tooth has been craving overtime. It's something that's always a work in progress to tone down, but I'm going in to next week with the goal of limiting my sugar intake. It's really getting out of control.

Drinking

Mucho water. Ever since the Mini Marathon/Stomach Flu/Satan's Recovery Wrath, I've been super thirsty, and I've been drinking plenty of needed water. Also, trying to curb cravings, but clearly we see how that's working...

Loving

Brantley Gilbert. Sorry Mr. K! I've recently found myself on the verge of obsession with songs off of his soon to be released album, including "My Baby's Guns and Roses," and this one:


"...that girl from Indiana sure was pretty..."

No comments:

Post a Comment