Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Case of Mistaken Identity

I'll admit it, it's kind of fun not being recognized! (Cue the James Bond Intro music...)

Never in my wildest dreams did I think this weight loss journey would ever put me in the position of nonrecognition; to the point of people not knowing who I am when I say hello (even if it's been a while since I've last saw them but known them for years), or people looking at pictures on my desk wondering who's that girl with the cap, gown, and flowers on a graduation day?

"Awww, is that your sister?"

I can't help but giggle and wonder if they're really doing it because they honestly have no idea, and do I really look that different?! Hmmmmm.....

In about the past month or so, I've had a few cases of mistaken identity that still make me smile every time I think of them. The first happened instance happen just around a month or so ago, when I agreed to make a Maidrite run for my husband and I's dinner. (The Maidrite "place" is local sandwich shop just across the stateline into Ohio. It's kind of a local legendary hangout of sorts, and it's nothing short of delicious-goodness!) I walked in, recognized a couple sitting off to my right as I ordered, said hi, asked how they're doing, etc. You know the drill. This couple also happened to be the parents of my best friend I used to hang out with in high school and college. They know my husband as well, so of course when I mentioned that my hubby had seen one of them last week, that could've been a dead giveaway, but I guess not? After asking them how they were, how's their family, etc., I placed my order for Maidrites and waited to get my bag to go. On my way out, they stopped me and asked, "You are Ashley, correct? To which I replied, "Yessssss.....?" (With an odd stare...) "Oh, I thought you were Jill's daughter, but we didn't recognize you! How much have you lost; you look great!"

Crickets...

I see myself in the mirror everyday so of course I haven't really "witnessed the change," per se. I've never had that moment of realization where I think to myself, "Wow! I look so different! I really have changed!" It's always been me in the mirror, and that I guess the weight loss has been slow enought (yet not really) that I haven't had that moment. I never realized how big I was, or how much I've shed until I see old pictures versus new pictures. My husband tells me he sees the difference, however when I was bigger, he didn't see that in me; it didn't make who I was. (Does that make sense? Sometimes I wonder if it's just the obligatory husband comment...)

The second instance actually happened today. I had a coworker stop by my desk to ask a few questions regarding some work, and he noticed my framed picture from college graduation in 2008 on the corner of my desk. He absolutely couldn't believe it was me, asking if it were my sister. I only have one sibling: a twin brother, and he absolutely couldn't wrap his head around the idea that it really was me! It actually made me feel pretty good!

As I stated prior, I really have no "recollection" of the weight coming off. I mean, I do see it in comparative pictures; before vs. now. I see the loose skin, I know my face is definitely skinnier, (No double chins, yeah!) but I had no idea I would look so different. Many who lose weight still resemble themselves, however I guess I don't from what those around me say. But it's okay! I'm cool with it! It really does make me feel great about myself: that all of this hard work (the good, bad, and ugly), the "rabbit food," the weeks I didn't budge an inch on the scale, and the weeks that I lost 2-3 lbs, it really does make it all worth it!

So I'll embrace this change of course, and reintroduce myself if the need arises. Yes, I'm still the same Ashley you've known all along, just a 92 lb loser. (Wait a minute...) ;)


“Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.” ― Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment