Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My First Running Blog!

(Insert nervous giggle here.)

As of last Thursday, I'm officially on Summer Break from school (hallelujah)! I actually decided to take this week off before I jump back into the "workout" routine, as I really could've used some laziness. But by "routine," I mean nothing. This semester totally threw me out of my routine to the point that Zumba class or any form of exercise was very minimal (or just nonexistent). I've only been losing weight by watching what I eat and staying as active as I could, walking on breaks, taking the stairs vs. the elevator, etc. I really hate it, because I know how much better I personally feel before/during/after a workout. My mood is better, anxiety is less; just all-around feeling better!

As of next week, I plan to start a Couch to 5k program (or C25K) using an app program, leading up to The Color Run Indy July 20. It's coincidentally 9 weeks until then starting next week, while the C25K is a 9 week program... (Hmmmmm...)

I have so much apprehension going into this "mission." I'm not a runner - I never have been. I hated mile Friday's in Gym class, and only tried to run when the gym teacher was watching. Lets just say, the only way you're getting me to run a mile is if Luke Bryan himself were waiting at the finish line with a giant cupcake for me, while running from some scary horror movie-icon. (That's my inner fan/fat girl coming out... You'll have to excuse me.) ;)

I'm also nervous about screwing up and sucking (for lack of a better term). I have no (zip, zero, zilch) leg muscles whatsoever. Fatigue will be huge, and I know one of the first things I will have to learn is pacing myself when running. (That is next to impossible for this girl.) I'm also slower than a turtle, and if I get sick, hurt, whatever, I'm fearful I'll fall behind both schedule and speed-wise, eventually letting myself down by not completing the whole 5k run.

I look forward to the challenge however, as I think this will pay off. I'm cautiously optimistic, but with the help of the app, (and maybe leg definition) I can do this. At least that's what I'm reminding myself. I'm a fighter, the little engine that could, right?

After all, who knew I'd make it past a 20 lb loss, let alone ever lose 90?! I know I've for sure surprised myself, so you never know...

In the meantime, I plan to start going back to Zumba (with a new instructor) as well as starting to run next week. I will keep you posted!

"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it."
-Greg Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment