Tuesday, June 4, 2013

C25K: Weeks 1 and 2 Review

Officially I've started Week 3 as of tonight, and I can honestly say, running doesn't suck! :) (Cue my happy dance!) Running Weeks 1 and 2 weren't terrible (which I'm still sort of shocked)!

Week 1 consisted of 1 minute runs, with 1 1/2 minutes walking in between each run, repeated 8 times for a total of 28 1/2 minutes of exercise, 8 minutes running.

Week 1, I'll admit, I struggled with. It was more mental than anything, as I still thought, "I've never been able to run. I'm not a runner. What are you doing, Ash?!" The first run hurt so much more than I thought would, at least after. (During wasn't bad at all!) I hadn't really stretched before, as each run includes a 5 minute brisk walk warm up. Soaked in an Epsom salt bath, and I was good as new the next day! Average pace was 15:06 minute/mile.

The second run of C25K, Week 1, my confidence grew quite a bit, as I finished 14:07 minute/mile which I thought was pretty cool. I had shaved off almost a minute from the first run! (It definitely makes me want to improve each run, no matter what the week!) Still had some soreness (this time mostly from my calves), but after a few stretches and another Epsom soak, it helped soften the soreness the day after.

With the third run, came even more confidence. (Running still didn't suck!) After a hard, stressful day at work, I've started to find that up until now, the running helps tremendously. I'm able to turn up my music and take off, clear my mind, etc. I'm really starting to find it very therapeutic. (Also shaved off another :15 seconds, to make the average pace of 13:45 minute/mile (all the while running near my grandparents' property in western IN. It's woodsy, hilly, and was rather cold...!)

Week 2 consisted of 1 1/2 minute runs with 2 minutes walks in between, repeated 6 times for a total of 29 minutes of exercise, 9 minutes running.

 The first run of Week 2, I continued to improve. I was back from a visit with my grandparents, full of soooooo much comfort food (my German Oma doesn't skimp when it comes to meals, that's for sure). I was able to keep pace, and burn a few extra calories I didn't exactly count. I'm also at the point, I tend to run in just any direction, whichever country road sounds appealing or fitting of my work day. I definitely don't have a set route, and it helps change up scenery, as well as terrain, making for more challenging runs.

Run 2 of Week 2, I was still able to keep the pace as I set out on a new, hillier (is that a word?) route, at 13:46 minute/mile. Wasn't too shabby, and I still didn't hate to run! ;)

Run 3 of Week 3, I think, had been the toughest run thus far. It's the first day I've ran in the lovely (hint: sarcasm) humidity that Indiana tends to possess, usually reserved for July or August. On top of humidity, allergies were at an all time high, and of course my run took me through a wooded area (although pretty) which slightly killed my sinuses. Excuses aside, I pushed through, maintained pace, and finished the run. I was just super-happy to finish it.

Week 3 started tonight, ran went much better than I had anticipated, as it included two "long" runs with two shorter. I will have that update later in the week...

All in all, I am starting to actually like running, and I think it's actually starting to become a little easier than I certainly anticipated. As I said before, I'm able to just go out on my own, turn up the volume, maaaaaaybe sing along out loud a little bit (complete with dog's barking, ears bleeding), and just clear my head.As long as I mentally prepare myself, push myself, I'm finding this running thing might be possible! I actually feel great about this new "adventure!"

Two weeks down, seven to go! :)

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Ashley! I've been running for a few months. I still don't love it. Sometimes I hate it. But it's something I want to do during this season of my life. Hopefully you'll get the "runner's high" soon. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete