Monday, July 29, 2013

Color Run (5k) Ft. Wayne - Race Recap

It's Monday. I ran Saturday. I still have a blue armpit. ;)

If that's any indication of how fun the Color Run is, I don't know what to tell you folks. If you ever get the chance to run a Color Run, Run or Dye (that's upcoming), or a Color Me Rad race, any type where you get covered head to toe in colored powder, in any nook and cranny you couldn't imagine, I highly suggest doing it. Just for the fun of it!

I really did have one heck of a weekend. It was truly unforgettable, and even in my experiences, I was surrounded by outstanding, supportive friends, new or old. Amazing is really all I could say. In my opinion, it'll be hard to top this birthday week! (Look for a Wordless Wednesday post showcasing it this week!)

Starting out Saturday morning, I was nervous. I had spent all day Friday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway with a friend, parking in the boonies (getting yelled at by yellowshirts), but enjoying NASCAR practices at the Brickyard. I had also made the last minute decision to go to a concert in Plainfield that evening, which I'm incredibly happy I chose to, but I stayed out a little later than expected for the night before a (running) race. The day was just awesome. (Side note: I'm also getting too old.)

Up at 5am Saturday morning, it was a little rough to get going. I definitely understand now what "heavy legs" feel like, and it actually was a little difficult getting my legs loosened up before running with all of the walking I did Friday. Add in an almost two-hour drive to Ft. Wayne, you can definitely see why I was nervous. I hadn't planned to make this a "timed run" but I wanted to gauge where I was at a month after completing my first 5k. After all, the Color Run is supposed to be "happy" and fun, not hell.

Anywho, the Color Run was everything I expected and then some. It wound through several neighborhoods adjoining downtown Ft. Wayne, starting and ending at Parkview Field where the Ft. Wayne TinCaps, an MiLB team, play. Several living in the neighborhoods actually stood on their porches, cheering us on, waving flags, beating drums, blowing whistles, encouraging us on the entire route. I didn't need music once. It was all about scenery, and I just took it all in!

The course was mostly flat, which my legs were eternally grateful for, and overall it was just a fun event, one that I can't wait to repeat! (I will at August 31, with Run or Dye at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. That race, I WILL take a crap-ton of pictures for; hopefully kissing of the bricks included! Bucket list, folks. Bucket list.)

My times definitely reflected the atmosphere. The weather was cooler, and the pace was fast, with the flat course. I pushed myself hard Saturday, improving almost 6 minutes from my first 5k on June 29. (I flipped my stuff, by the way!) My average pace was 10:51 min/mi, my fastest of yet, with an overall time of 34:43! Add in slowing down for color stations, I'll take it!





I am still trying to recover a bit after the weekend, soreness included. I plan to hopefully get an Epsom salt bath tonight, as I still can't do ice baths. (I just can't. I've tried. The only ice and cold I like is in a hockey rink.) I won't run again until tomorrow night, giving me a little break. I'm pretty sure I won't be happy with the results, but I'm getting more comfortable running at a 5k distance consistently.

Add in my new shoes, and I can honestly say I still don't hate running. So much so, I look forward to running when I'm scheduled, even wanting to on rest days. It's honestly an incredible feeling, one that puts me on top of the world after completing a race, and I really can't wait for the next!



No comments:

Post a Comment