Friday, November 8, 2013

Waiting Game


Ever just have that Jeopardy theme pop into your head when you’re awaiting something? No? Just me? Gotcha.

Anywho; I received a phone call for a referral. I’m getting an MRI on my knee tomorrow, and I couldn’t be more nervous. 

I’m pretty sure it’s an open-sided one, as I’m not the greatest with tight spaces. (Luckily, it’s only my knee, and I’m praying that they just put me in up to my waist. Nothing more. I can’t do the whole arms-glued-to-my-side thing. 

The MRI is hoping to show whether or not I tore cartilage, though judging by my limp down stairs last night and the pain I have today (after thinking, “I got this,”), how bad the said tear could be, or if it’s something entirely different. I’m hoping it’s nothing too major, as I really don’t want to have surgery, but at this point, something needs to be done, even if it’s the MRI to make sure what’s what is what’s what.

UGH.

I’m honestly ready for this to just be over, even if the journey to recovery is just beginning. 

I honestly hate not being able to run. After attempting it the other night and having almost instant pain after taking off, I’ve been a ball of nerves, and quite frankly, just plain pissed off. I’m competitive by nature, and I was just starting to catch my stride, but I pushed myself too far, something I tend to do often thinking I’m Superwoman. I didn’t follow the 10% rule, but I know now, that hopefully when this is over, I know better for next time, if I get that chance.

I haven’t had much activity, if any, over the past four weeks. I haven’t really checked out any low-impact options. I’m hoping to check out kettlebells this weekend as a toning opportunity, a result from a family member who’s mentioned she loves using them recently. I’ve also thought about getting back into yoga, something to help stretch and strengthen with as well as distress doing.

I’ve got to do something because being stationary is driving me mad. I’m just afraid I will aggravate my knee even more, especially after limping around most of the day today.

Tomorrow’s test will tell, though I won’t know anything for maybe another week or so. I’m just hoping this doesn’t sideline me too long, though I consider myself a runner listed on IR.
Runner. Yeah, I am injured and currently not “running,” but I kind of like the sound of it! That wouldn’t have happened over a year ago :)

Until then, I’ll push on. My goal for this next week is to feel out something new or something that I haven’t done in a while. I also want to check out the gym at my college, as they have a stationary bike, rowing machine, and elliptical available, that I can easily walk to after work each night. All are low impact alternatives, something that I need to build up cardio again.

My fingers are crossed that this doesn’t derail my plans for the Mini next year, as that’s my biggest fear, but I’m trying to look at it glass half-full: Not derail, but delay. Just a minor speed bump in the grand scheme of things.

Until then… Push on. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment