Tuesday, August 6, 2013

City By (Running) Shoes: Indianapolis

I'm honestly still in a bit of Cloud 9 euphoria from this past weekend, and it's not necessarily from the concert I attended. (Even though epic wouldn't begin to touch how awesome it was!)

I had an absolute blast checking out downtown Indianapolis by my new Brooks' Ghost shoes, seeing things I've always wanted to check out but never took the time, as well as discovering new things.

As I said before, I feel like Indianapolis is widely overlooked when thinking of travel destinations, however the SuperBowl did help shine a light on the city I love. As mentioned by several notables who attended the event in 2012 (and witnessed on my run) everyone was so incredibly friendly, warm, and helpful, and I felt perfectly safe wherever I went Saturday. That's just how us Hoosiers roll, if you will... ;)

I started my run out at the hotel we stayed at, The Canterbury, located on Illinois, just south of Maryland (and conveniently located next to one of the restaurants most noted in Indy, St. Elmo's. (Unfortunately, no, I have not shared dinner with anyone there...yet. Someday.)


The hotel itself is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and was absolutely wonderful. The staff were very friendly, and certainly helpful when hailing a cab or answering my questions about how to get somewhere. (I'm still a little sketchy when I get downtown, and I get turned around VERY easily. More on that later...)

After approaching Maryland St., I decided to turn west and head out to White River State Park first, site of the concert we attended the night before. It buts up next to the White River, also containing several museums as well as the Canal. 

(An urban garden/rest spot in front of the Simon Property Group offices on Maryland St.)

(Victory Field, home of the Indianapolis Indians, a AAA-affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Victory Field has been named one the best MiLB ballparks in the country, and is always a fabulous place to catch a game. My husband and I love it, and it's super kid-friendly. My niece and nephew approve!)

(The entrance to White River State Park.)

As you can tell, my run was a tad bit soggy, raining while I grabbed breakfast at Starbucks about an hour before. (Luckily, if you wait five minutes, Indiana's weather will change. You might witness all four seasons in one day while visiting Indianapolis, and I'm not kidding either. But I did get lucky, and the rain moved on by the time I headed out.)

(View of the White River on Friday night at the concert. It's such a beautiful backdrop!)

(A portion of the Canal, with the NCAA Hall of Champions behind it. The NCAA offices and Hall of Champions buts up against the trail that skirts both the Canal and White River State Park, taking you next to and on to IUPUI's campus.)

(Looking back towards downtown from the trail along the White River, Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the Indianapolis Colts, in the background. You can't miss it when visiting. Seriously.)

After running to IUPUI and turning back towards downtown, I had only completed roughly 10-12 minutes, so I decided to take the stairs and run the Canal back towards downtown. I have never actually visited the Canal before, only briefly driving by it, so I honestly wasn't sure what was in store. It's absolutely beautiful, if you can't tell from the pictures. During warmer months, I believe they offer gondola rides similar to what you would find Venice, Italy or Vegas, with trained singers as your guides. Highly romantic, if you're in to that sort of thing.

(The building to the left and bridge connect both portions of the Indiana State Museum.)

 (The wall to the right is the portion of the Indiana State Museum that buts up against the canal. As you can tell, it was a typical "Indiana Grey" kind of day, with fog lingering over the city.)

(The Eiteljorg Museum patio, from the Canal.)

(Can't say I didn't see any wildlife on my run! These guys are part of the Eiteljorg, located on the Canal.)

As I finished my run on the canal, I took the stairs back up to street level, running into the Government Center downtown. I had always heard that you can easily get lost at the Government Center (I worked for the state a few years ago), and I can confirm this to be the case. Left of the street holds the "North" center, right holds the "South," with the State House towering in the middle.

(The Indiana State House. Duh.) ;)

I took off to the north side of the State House, winding my way around to the front, and then on to Monument Circle.

(The front portion of the State House that faces East, towards downtown.)

(Seen as I approached Monument Circle. Thought it was historically neat. Yeah, I'm a dork.)

 (Looking towards Monument Circle, and the Soldiers & Sailors Monument. Yes, you can go up in it, and I highly suggest it!)

 (Union Station, current home of the Crown Plaza Hotel. You can stay in an old train car, if you'd like! Something I remember from childhood adventures...)

(Looking down Georgia St. from Maryland, towards the Indiana Convention Center. It was completely redesigned to make it more pedestrian friendly during SuperBowl 2012.)

(Spotted a little hockey love downtown, at the now-closed rink at Pan Am Plaza. I really do hope they open it again, though due to funding, but for now the rink is no longer in use. Bummer!)

(I might've got a little turned around on my way back to the hotel. It ALWAYS happens to me downtown. Not even kidding. UGH.)

Eventually I found my way back, soaked in sweat, more than likely purple-faced, but happy as ever. :)


All-in-all, my completed run took about 45 minutes to complete, covering 3.87 miles (almost 4!). I was able to keep an 11:45 mi/min pace, even with stoplights and traffic involved. Note to self: watch alleyways and traffic from parking garages. This country girl isn't used to that!

Despite the gray and dreary weather, I fully enjoyed my run, and honestly can't wait to get a chance to do it again! Hopefully someday soon!

1 comment:

  1. That's so sad that the Indiana Ice is no longer playing. They played in the same league as the Lincoln Stars & the Omaha Lancers. Lincoln & Omaha played an outside hockey game this winter as the warm act to Nebraska Omaha-North Dakota hockey game.

    Really loved all of your pictures of downtown Indy on your run. I have seen all of those before walking or rollerblading. The canal area is so great to rollerblade on (the area around White River State walk is awesome to). During the summer the canal is alive with paddle boats, gondolas & people out walking around.

    Victory field is awesome & spent many days there watching games. Very impressed with Bankers Life (even though I want to call it Conseco fieldhouse) They had the World swimming championships there one year. I have been to the top of the Soldiers & Sailors Monument also & it really is worth going to the top of it. I agree there is no way you can't miss Lucas Oil Stadium as it dominates the skyline. When I lived their I didn't run so I would love to run down their also. Hope you get back soon!

    ReplyDelete