Friday, August 23, 2013

Time For a Change, Part 2

My hair has officially made it to West Palm Beach, Florida. Thank goodness for tracking numbers!

Yes, I did it. I really did it. Even when my cold feet were screaming at me.

My hair has honestly never been this short, and I actually am having a harder time adjusting than what I thought I would, however it's all in figuring out what works for me. But it helped a child in need, someone that may not be able to have what I have. And that's where it really matters. (So suck it up, buttercup!) ;)

A deal was a deal, after all.

When I went in to see Judy Tuesday night, she braided and marked off my hair where 10-ish (actually a total of 11) inches would be, and where the cut would be made. It happened to be a little higher than what I had anticipated. She initially asked me whether I wanted to wait, and honestly I did, but more for the sake that I didn't want to see my hair go, that I wasn't "ready." Tuesday I had straightened it before work, just to show how long it was, and I had several compliments and comments about not cutting it. But I had made a deal with myself, and with Judy, that once I hit 100 pounds lost, it's going. And I didn't back out of the deal...

In order to calm my nerves, and to push me over the fence that I was figuratively sitting on, Judy mentioned that if I cut it now, not only would it have a good, cute length by the holidays, but that I wouldn't have to invest in as many scarves. (Indiana in Winter can be brutal, and I run cold so easily now as it is!) But the bottom line, and overall consensus that I can't stress enough, was that I am helping a child in need.

After sitting on it, and struggling with the decision for what felt like forever, I said, "Do it. Cut it before I change my mind. This is to help someone, not for me, and mine will grow back eventually. Just do it."

And so she did... In the midst of 5 different cuts (since my hair is so dang thick), I cried. I cried like a little kid, but it wasn't necessarily sadness. Some of it was, but mostly that it was tears of happiness. Tears of joy. Tears of elation and an overwhelming sense of finality; that this struggle I had with my weight, the self-esteem and confidence issues I struggled with so much with as a teenager, it's all finally over. That in the midst of what felt like forever, I've found myself.

I can't even begin to really explain how I felt... It was such an overwhelming feeling.

To say I'm comfortable with my hair, well, it's an adjustment. I've had several ask me if I like it. Part of me does, but I've never done anything this "drastic" before, and those who know me well enough know I'm not great with change. My hair has never been this short before, always touching at least my shoulders, so it's definitely an adjustment. I'm pretty sure I will need to get a new, smaller straightener, as my current one is so thick that I struggle to straighten some of my hair. I have straightened it the past few days, and I really like it straight. I tried to let the curls go yesterday, as my hair is naturally curly, and by the end of the day I felt like a clown with huge red hair, despite the many positive comments I had. It's a struggle, but as I said before, this wasn't for me. My hair will grow back, but in the meantime, I'm definitely trying to rock this new 'do!

So without further adieu, the before, during, and after pictures you've waited for!

 (Marking off 10 inches. Crying already...)

 (The finished product, mailed out Wednesday to Locks of Love!)

(The finished product!)


For more information regarding Locks of Love, and how you can donate and help, please visit their website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment