Friday, August 16, 2013

Time For a Change

As humans, we tend to resist change. Stay with status quo. And even though I'm always up for an adventure, I'm just fine with status quo. Typically.

Sometime during my Weight Loss Journey, I had decided to grow out my hair for donation to Locks of Love. Just cut it when I arrived at the required 10 inch mark, no biggie. It's always something I've wanted to do; to help a child in need who might not have what I have so readily available. (And trust me, I have a metric crap-ton of hair. It's thick. And it drives insane, especially in summer and humidity.)

When my weight loss goal actually started to look like it was in my sights, I made the promise not cut my hair until I hit the 100 lb mark. And my stylist has held me to it.

I've maintained proper "trims" to keep my hair as healthy as I can during the growth period, and have not highlighted my hair since my wedding in 2009. But, holy smokes, 10 inches (required by LOL) is a LOT of hair. We're both hoping, because my hair is so thick, we'll be able to actually get two 10 inch braids as opposed to one, which is kind of cool. Double the donation, perhaps? (Not really, but wishful thinking...)

Regardless of how much hair is required, I'm honestly scared to death. I've grown partial to my long, red hair, however unmanageable and a down right pain in my a** it can be. And I'm not good with drastic change. It's the longest I've ever had. Usually my hair doesn't hit much past my shoulders, always short enough to see the name on the back of a jersey I wear, but long enough to pull it back if needed.

This will be the shortest I've ever cut my hair. No, I'm not going for a pixie cut or anything THAT short, but it will more than likely not touch my shoulders. Not for a while anyway. The way I see it, and the only thing that's getting me through, (besides my bit of a rebel side ready for a change) is that I'm helping someone in need, someone that can't necessarily grow what I have, and that yes, mine will in fact grow back. Theirs may not, and that's where I have a passion for what I chose to do. I want to help someone in need.

So, regardless of what I think or how I feel, it's going to happen. Judy, my stylist, will hold me to it one way or another. And by that, I mean chasing me with shears while Brandon holds me down kicking and screaming. (No, I don't expect it to be THAT dramatic. But I can't promise no tears.)

So, here's to goodbye (for now) to my long, red hair I've taken care of for a good two-ish years. I haven't backed down from my fight with weight loss, so I'm not backing out of my end of the deal after I've hit goal.



Of course, I'll have after pictures when Tuesday rolls around... :)


If this has you thinking, for more information on how you can donate or volunteer with Locks of Love, you can visit their website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment