Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Who Is This Girl?

I've been running for 14 weeks now, and quite honestly I'm still blown away at both how easy the Couch to 5k program was, and the progress I made in just weeks. WEEKS. Not months. Not years. Weeks.

I know it seems like every week I have a "reflection" post, (this isn't one of them) but I guess you could say I amazed myself in this running thing. When I started losing weight, and even to this day, I still can't really comprehend what I did or have done (where I've came from), and often brush it off as "no big deal." That's just who I am. And unfortunately, I can honestly say I still don't have the confidence I would like to have, both in what I can do and in who I am as a person. I'll often ask, "Are you sure," over everything. (I honestly hate that, and I'm working on it.) I'm better than where I have been, and self esteem is slowly creeping back into my life. It's a nice change to be honest, and I think it's coming with my personal happiness. I honestly can't say I'm unhappy with where I'm at, both mentally and with my weight. I'm pretty happy, and fine if I just stay where I am.

Anyway, moving on...

Last night's run legitimately surprised me. Like shocked, surprised me. Up until now, I've been running a solid 5k, or 3.1+ miles at a pretty good clip (at least for me). A few nights ago, I decided to try to run the "country square mile," as redneck as that sounds, and as I joke about it often... In the county I live in, our country roads are set up on a grid, usually about a mile between each (or .75, or .5, etc.) Say you're on 100 West. Well, your 1 mile west of Base Rd. Follow? Makes it easy, at least for me, to get around our county.  In deciding to complete said "country square mile" it consists of a little over 4 miles, 4.63 to be exact, from home, going north, west, south, then east, and back to home. I hadn't planned to record the entire run, as I started after my 5 minute walking warmup. I've been doing that now as a way to get a more accurate judge of my pace when running.

I wasn't planning to run 4 miles, and initially I didn't, only completing 3.5 before running out of gas the first night. At the same time, it felt absolutely wonderful, being able to set a new "distance" record for myself. But that didn't last long...

Last night was much cooler than expected, and I hoped to dodge rain drops as I ran. I made it just in time, and after a few glitches with the GPS on my phone, it said I completed 5 miles, including one in 6 minutes. Of course I knew that wasn't accurate, so cue Google Earth. (I busted out laughing at a 6 minute mile. I love you iPhone, but I'm not that good.) I used the path feature to recreate what I ran last night, and guess what? 4.32 miles!!! Solid. :)

The run last night was a little slower than I had wanted pace-wise, but mentally it was just what I needed after some unwanted stress. I was able to complete the 4 mile run in just a little over 51 minutes, and I'll take it!

This brings me to the point of my post, and adding maybe another goal or challenge I'll start to work towards. I had planned to run the 5k on the image below, not knowing there was a 10k run at the same time, same place, same price, etc. I had initially thought of maybe running a 10k at the end of September, however it's 2 hours away, and I'm not sure with school work and other commitments that I'd personally feel ready. Well, October 19 is still over two months away, and with me completing 4 miles, I think I can make this happen. (Think being a major keyword.)


So that's the plan. I am going to run the CEC Fall Foliage 10k (not 5k). That's 6.2 miles. Over an hour of constant running. It's a tall order for me, but for not even being able to complete a solid quarter-mile, let alone a lap around the neighborhood, I still can't believe I'm the same Ashley I was 12 weeks ago... In last night's run, after about 2 1/2 miles, I fell into a good pace, where breathing and running took over without having to think about it. That "comfortable pace" is when I truly love running...

It's just another step in the journey on my way to the half marathon (which I still have doubts about), in May 2014. It's going to be a bumpy ride, but if I have more runs like last night's, it will definitely be worth it!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great post because I feel I have found my "redneck" :). sister. I do the country square mile all of the time.That is where I do all of my long runs! I know exactly what you mean. This is where I started running because honestly when I started running I really was self conscious & didn't want other people watching so I just went out to the country roads since they are only .7 from my place.

    Honestly I literally started running from scratch. I started running 30 sec & walking 30 sec than started running from electric pole to electric pole & adding more poles & less walking. It was a very big deal to run 1 mile without stopping. It may seem impossible to run a half marathon but believe with training & over time you will do it. (If it doesn't happen May 2014 don't worry because IT WILL happen sometime. 90% of all my long runs for my marathon training were on the country roads. I still have no idea how I completed all of those training runs during the VERY hot summer last year.

    ReplyDelete