Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Location, Location, Location

I can honestly say that in the past few weeks, my running has suffered a bit. I've been taking the easy routes out, stopping to take a break, or like tonight, hitting the treadmill instead of being outdoors. I felt like a total slacker after last night's run, but allergies are making me miserable, or I'm afraid I'm getting sick before my next race. I just decided to take it easy instead. Awesome, huh? Yeah... I thought so too. (Hint: sarcasm.)

This Saturday's race is something that has me excited beyond belief though, all because of the course I'm running on. (And I'm praying to every deity known to man to make me feel better between now and Saturday morning.)

I still get chills every time I take the north tunnel into Indianapolis Motor Speedway. During either the Indy 500, Brickyard 400 (or whatever name it is each year), or the MotoGP, many will mention it has the same effect; fan, crew member, driver, etc. Chills. Goosebumps. Excitement. It's truly a magical place.

I'll never forget the day I posted a picture on my Facebook page of the famed Pagoda. Many in the United States recognize the track as home to the Indianapolis 500 or the Brickyard 400 NASCAR race, however my lovely step-sister, who is from and lives in Romania, asked if this is where the MotoGP motorcycles run. (She's a fan of the series, and American rider, Nicky Hayden.) That will always stick out to me; how much the track is recognized not just here but around the world. And I'm lucky enough it's practically in my backyard.

Being the motorsports fan that I am, usually I attend motorsport races at IMS, however this weekend it will be a bit different. The race I'm running doesn't have to do with motors or wheels, but my wonderful Brooks Ghost 6's and a lot of color. I really did have so much fun at the Color Run Ft. Wayne, and after an invitation from my racing fan-friend Whitney, I signed up to run on her team at Run or Dye. Of course, when I heard the race location was IMS, I was instantly in. There wasn't any hesitation on that decision. ;)

I am a little worried about the race however, as the heat and humidity kicked back into high gear this week. Normally we would have seen this type of weather throughout July and August, but to say we've been spoiled is an understatement this year. There was only a period of maybe two weeks in July where I ran in super-hot weather, to the point I had to worry about hydration. Well, it's back.

Regardless, the run will be fun. I mean, I'm running at the Brickyard, getting color-bombed, coming out looking like a unicorn threw up a rainbow on me. How cool is that?! The course is awesome as well, mixing in both the road course and the famed front-stretch, making it for some amazing scenery, in my opinion.


Of course, I am planning to make a pit stop on the yard of bricks, the only stop of my run, I hope. When in Indy, why not kiss some filthy, in this instance color-filled, gritty bricks? It's tradition at the track. If you're not sure what I mean, check it out.

You know I'll have pictures to follow after the race in my race recap. It's too picturesque not to!

No comments:

Post a Comment