Wednesday, June 12, 2013

C25K: Trigger Happy

So I guess you could say I jumped the gun a little...or I'm just impatient? Maybe excited about how running is going so far? (Yep, that sounds good...)

I hadn't actually planned to run my first official 5k until July 20, the Color Run Indy, however after speaking with a friend's mom over the weekend, she encouraged me to run the Fireworks 5k, June 29. I've not actually ran (or even really walked) an official 5k before. This one is timed, but I really didn't want to pass up the opportunity. It'd give me great "practice" to kind of get the hang of what to expect in July, it's also a day I'm schedule to run anyway (why not, right?), and the money for race registration goes to a great cause, towards the Fireworks fund for the July 4th celebration in the park.

I'm actually really excited about this race, as it's in the city park near where I work. The park is beautiful, always well-kept, has a pond or two, tons of trees, scenery, etc. I'm only intimidated by the hills and curves that are included in the course. And well, running. In front of people. EEK.

If all goes well, I will be finishing up Week 6 of 9 with the C25K program, with warm-up walking for 5 minutes, running a solid 25 minutes, then 5 minutes of cool-down walking. In total, I'll have 35 planned minutes of activity, but potentially more depending on my distance covered, and where I'm at on the course.

Until then, and even after, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Yes, I am a little intimidated, as again it's timed and scored (with other people around) however my first and only goal is to finish. I'm not really in it for the time. It's all for fun, and for a good cause!

Until then, I run tomorrow night as well as Saturday, and I'm still fairly confident I don't hate running! Last night's run (which I'll recap in detail later this week) went very well, especially for the distance covered and the time intervals that I ran. I'm still very happy with progress I've made, and I'm blown away by progress made in just 3-4 short weeks.

I never imagined I'd ever be able to say that yes, I run. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment