Friday, June 14, 2013

It's Official: Plateau #2

As if I never thought I'd survive Plateau #1 at 175, here I am with 5 pounds to go, and guess what?

PLATEAU #2.

(Hang with me a sec, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.)

Ok, a little better....

At 175, I found myself giving up, losing steam, and definitely lost lack of any motivation I built from the first 75 pounds. At one point, I figured I didn't really need to count, because, well I got this, right? WRONG. Guess who gained 10 pounds? This girl! I guess you could say I broke the plateau, however it was in the wrong direction.

After fighting my lack of motivation and lost accountability, (add in a Canadian vacation plus a wedding as a guest to look forward to), I finally said enough was enough. I buckled down, and after several weeks of dreaded weigh-ins, I finally broke loose and lost a pound.

The past three or four weeks have been slightly rough, again. I've hit that dreaded plateau at 155 and really haven't moved. I've been as low as 153.4, but after picking up C25K, I've noticed I hang around 154-155, and nothing lower. I can honestly say though, this plateau is a little different. I'm not cheating, I'm tracking everything I eat, I've cut back on any sugary foods, and have been soda free for well over three months. THREE MONTHS! Of course there are a few possibilities that could factor in as to why it's holding on this time around: building muscle (yeah!), stress and lack of sleep (it's hockey playoffs folks), it's the last five pounds (of course, right?), or salt/sodium intake (though I try to monitor this as much as I can).

I can promise however, that I won't give up this time and just try to wing it. I want to fight this plateau and hit my healthy weight range and goal of 150.

But you might ask: why 150? Aren't you happy with what you've done so far? Why not keep going? Why not just stop here? Why not focus on muscle building? Why focus on the number that's on the scale?

I don't plan to stop at 150. I do want to lose maybe a little more, 5-10 pounds as a "cushion," but for me, 150 is that magic number. Not only is it the 100 lb mark from starting this weight loss journey (so I can finally say without hesitation, yes, I'm a 100 lb loser, hee hee), it's a new Brooks Laich jersey (my me-to-me gift for hitting goal). ;)

New Capitals jersey aside (and most importantly), it's also a goal I never thought I'd ever complete, that my discipline, determination, and perseverance really does pay off. It's proving to myself that "Yes, Ashley, anything you set your mind to, you can do. If you can dream it, you can do it."

I can honestly say that has been the most important lesson I've learned through this journey; that I can do anything if I set my mind to it.

Of course, you can too. With a little discipline, determination, and perseverance, you'll be shocked at what you can achieve.

“When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment