Friday, June 28, 2013

Pre-Race Jitters

Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow!

Tomorrow's the big day for my "first" 5k, and I'm slightly nervous. Ok, that's a lie. I'm petrified.

It must be that "out-of-my-control" type of thing I struggle with in more than one area of my life ;)

I'm not really sure what to expect. I have this crazy idea that I should run the whole 5k, or it's nothing, that walking isn't acceptable (even though it perfectly is). For the record, this isn't the actual 5k I had planned to run, but it's for a good cause and a normal run day with C25K anyway, so why not? I might as well have fun, right?

Well, I keep telling myself that. It's your run, not anyone else's, however I'm finding myself struggling with that idea the day before the race. I want to do my best of course, and I feel that whatever I do, it won't be enough. I'm not sure how the course is set up, as obviously it's my first time running it, and our race packets will not be available until registration tomorrow morning. No map, no number, nothing to go off of, no pre-planned route that I could scope out the hills and turns before.

Up until now, I've been lucky enough to avoid the treadmill, something I did NOT want to run Couch to 5k exclusively on. It was there for backup, just in case my run outside was rained out, or the weather was too hot. I love being outdoors, hiking, fishing, etc., so running country roads have been a bit spoiling to me (and the weather too). I've added some hills, turns, etc. to my route, that have allowed me to help build muscle and endurance, something I wouldn't necessarily get from running on the treadmill constantly. I think it's also helped me stick with the program thus far, as I've been able to just enjoy the scenery, whether it's farmers in their fields, wildlife, or crazy locals on mopeds. I tend to change up my routes, sometimes running south or east, as opposed to north (all the time). It's something different each time, and I think it helps keep me coming back for more!

Anywho, now that I'm completely off topic, I'm still nervous for tomorrow. It's not supposed to be as hot as I'd expected, which is nice, but that I feel like I have to perform top-level, like this is do or die (even though I know better). I'm hoping I can be sub-40 minutes, and just run my regular C25K run, but may run a little more depending on how I'm feeling. The ultimate goal is just to complete 3.1 miles. (I think I can, I think I can...)

Tomorrow's run will consist of a 5 minute warm-up walk, running for 25 minutes, and cooling down for 5, though I think I might run towards the end some, or run more than actual 25. It will all be up to my body at that point, the terrain, and how I'm feeling.

Look for a race recap tomorrow afternoon/evening, perhaps Sunday. (I'm having lunch with my best friend since high school at a restaurant in my hometown after the race. The local-grown breaded/grilled pork tenderloin and basket of homemade potato chips are my reward. Counted, though, of course!) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment